HeARTwood - Unitarian Foyer Gallery
“Mike’s True Colours”
This show is dedicated to my son Mike who passed away in July 2016. Mike liked to paint with me, using a spatter technique in the many colours he loved. But bar none, his favourite colour was RED. . . thus the theme of this show.
FEATURED ARTIST: Kae MCColl
Kae has enjoyed drawing and painting all her life. She credits her artist mother, also Kae McColl, for encouraging the whole family to consider art an essential part of life, to be appreciated and practiced. As a result, Kae can name at least sixteen members of her family (siblings, children, nieces, nephews and grandchildren) who all engage in some form of art. Some are accomplished and well known artists; others are hobby artists who love to experiment with colour and various media.
Although she is largely self-taught, Kae has taken many workshops and courses in watercolour and acrylic painting. She most enjoys trying to share with the viewer the “aha moment” – a mood, a trick of light, even the sounds – that made her stop in her tracks and think she must try to capture that scene as an abstract landscape.
Kae is one of the co-founders of Heartwood House and of the heARTwood gallery, a joint initiative of Heartwood and the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Ottawa. The goal is to offer attractive space for local artists who want to exhibit their work but do not have many opportunities to do so. The gallery has been in operation as a community gallery for 17 years.
Kae has shown her work in group and solo exhibitions in Ottawa and Gatineau.
The Foyer Gallery is open to the public:
- Monday through Thursday from 4:00 - 7:00 pm
- Fridays from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- By appointment – Please contact Heartwood's Executive Director at 613-241-5937.
The Foyer Gallery provides an opportunity for our community to enjoy various forms of artistic expression throughout the year. Artists gain access to quality exhibition space, and they, in return, support and enhance Heartwood programs and the work environment. In addition to exhibiting their work in the Foyer Gallery, artists may find opportunities to partner with individual member groups, offering workshops or one-to-one art instruction. The ongoing collaboration between artists and the Heartwood House community demonstrates the benefits of art as an integral part of our daily lives.
We welcome artists to submit samples of their work to the HeARTwood - Unitarian Foyer Gallery selection committee. Most exhibitions are 6 to 8 weeks in length, with the option to host a vernissage.
Promotion and Advertising
The artist assumes the responsibility to promote his/her exhibition. Heartwood House will do all it can to support the promotions by:
- Posting the event on the Heartwood House website*
- Posting any flyers, posters, etc. provided by the artist
- $30 registration fee for use of the Foyer Gallery will be given to the Executive Director prior to the start of the show.
- 10% of all sales will go to Heartwood House at the end of the show.
- Vernissage – Artists have the option to host an opening reception at a time scheduled with Heartwood House. Cost $12.00 per hour.
The Foyer Gallery does not have insurance to cover theft. However, the artist should be aware that access by the public is controlled. Guests to Heartwood House enter by the front door only, and sign-in at Reception.
- Artists are asked to provide 10 to 15 pieces depending on the size of the work.
- Hanging of art pieces will be at the discretion of the Gallery Committee representatives.
- Some pieces may not be hung by the Gallery representatives due to space limitations.
Contact Maureen Moloughney by phone (613) 241-5937 or by email email@example.com
Application for Artists
- Name (if group – please list names, and give main contact name):
- E-mail address:
- Brief Description of Work:
- General Size and Price Range of Work:
- Have you shown your work previously? Where have you shown your work?
- Please indicate your first and second choice of month for an exhibition (not the month of July):
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 4 - 6 samples of your work. You may provide a portfolio, refer us to a website, or send electronic images. Please list titles, sizes and medium used.